Having a deck is like having an outdoor escape where you can free your mind, relax, and enjoy the weather. Even though most decks are built to hold up against heavy loads and bad weather, after a while a wooden deck’s look will start to diminish. Here are a few tips that we have come up with to help your wooden deck stay in the best shape possible.
- Keep your deck clean! There are multiple ways clean a wooden deck, but the main two are:
- Power washing – This is a quick and efficient way to clean your deck and get out those tough stains, but if not done properly it could potentially lead to damage of the wood.
- Wood/Deck cleaner – There are numerous companies that make special cleaning chemicals that are perfect for wooden decks, but this process usually requires a lot more time and effort.
- Look out for any loose nails. Loose nails can be a danger to those who walk on the deck, but can also greatly damage the deck if not treated. If there are loose nails, remove them and replace them with a longer screw if possible.
- Stain your deck when it lightens up. This is a great way to improve the look of your wooden deck if the wood is fading from weathering or UV rays. Stain or wood preservatives can be applied with a brush or a roller and require at least 2 days to dry. Make sure that your deck is as clean as possible before staining or painting the wood. It might be a good idea to double coat your deck if the results don’t meet your liking.
- Use a sealant as protection for the wood: Sealing your deck is like adding a shield to your deck that helps protect it from harmful UV rays and weathering. Some wood stains also act as a sealant for your deck, but a clear sealer should be added to your deck annually if possible to increase the potential life of the wood.
In addition to these tips, make sure that you always look out for any cracked wooden boards, signs of rotting, or any substantial damage to your deck to prevent unnecessary danger. With these tips we hope that you decide to make time to care for your deck so that it can be enjoyed for a lifetime.